Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Connection to Stare Ransko Becomes More Clear


This ledger page from Grandpa Zvolanek's ledger/address book bears the name "Frantisek Coufal" along with other names associated with the town of Stare Ransko. Certainly there would be a connection to the Coufals that we visited. And indeed there is.


After my return home, I e-mailed this ledger page to Frantisek Coufal, the brother of the current Coufal family that lives at #6 Stare Ransko. Again, this house originally belonged to the Zvolanek family, passed on to the Coufals through the marriage of Mary Zvolanek to Frantisek Coufal -- my new friend's Grandparents.


Frantisek e-mailed his response today:


A sunny day Denise.
Thank you very much for sending documents. According to the addresses of your grandfather, it is clear that the document is the address of my grandfather Francis Coufal b. July 9, 1893, d.15.6. 1950.


Descendants of Mr. Vavrouška Ransko live also. Mr. Jun and his son in Podmoklany died. Mr. Jakes has relatives in Krucemburk. Mr. Korejtko also died, a relative of his living in New Ransko.
I sent a family tree, but I do not know whether you can expand.
Sincerely, Frank. :-)


As we suspected, Grandpa John Zvolanek did indeed know the Coufal/Zvolanek family. Frantisek Coufal was only two years younger than John. I'd be willing to bet that our grandfathers once sat together in the same living room where Kirk and I were treated to the Coufals' ancestral documents and a glass of homemade apricot brandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment